If you recognize warning signs of suicide and/or violence in yourself or someone else, it is possible to take effective action. Tell someone you trust about your concerns and ask for help, whether a friend, parent, co-worker, or supervisor. The only real risk is in doing nothing.
WHAT TO DO
- Notice the warning signs (see list below).
- Take action. This may include calling 911, calling Henderson Student Counseling at (954) 424-6911, 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year for consultation about what to do regarding a student of concern or for a referral in your area, etc.
- (If the employee is not a student), calling MHNet (NSU's Employee Assistance Program) 24 hours per day, 7 days per week, 365 days per year: 1-877-398-5816; TTY: 1-800-338-2039
- Share your concerns with a faculty/staff member, a supervisor, Henderson Student Counseling - (954) 424-6911, Student Affairs - (954) 262-7280, or your Dean of Students. The Student Behavioral Concerns Committee is also available for consultation.
- Decreased academic performance
- Missing class/deadlines
- Disruptive behavior
- Signs of depression or anxiety
- References to death, suicide, or homicide in conversation or writings
- Angry, threatening, or aggressive behavior
- Signs of substance abuse
- Signs of disordered eating (marked weight loss/weight gain)
- Decline in personal hygiene
If you are an NSU student with BlueCross BlueShield (BCBS) of Florida insurance through the university, you can search for a Mental Health Provider in your area via the BCBS link below:
- Please note, in order to search for a Psychologist or Psychiatrist, you must select “doctor” and “specialist” on the search page.
- In order to search for a Mental Health Counselor, Marriage and Family Therapist, Clinical Social Worker, or Substance Abuse Facility, you must select “Support Service,” then select the desired provider type.
- Most NSU students have the BlueChoice PPO which can also be selected in the search.
- You are also able to search for providers by location. The Zip Codes associated with each Student Educational Center are as follows:
- Fort Myers: 33913
- Jacksonville: 32216
- Miami-Kendall: 33183
- Miramar: 33025
- Orlando: 32839
- Tampa: 33619
- West Palm Beach: 33410
For those who do not have the FL BCBS insurance, the SAMHSA treatment locator might be helpful:
This website was developed [in part] under a grant number SM-09-001 from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration (SAMHSA), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). The views, policies, and opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of SAMHSA or HHS.