1. Wide Angle - An image that captures an underwater scene shot with a wide-angle/fisheye lens (dSLR's) or using a wide-angle/fisheye setting (point-and-shoot). Examples include: seascapes, large subjects (schooling fishes, sharks, turtles, marine mammals, etc.), shipwrecks, or close-focus wide-angle scenes.
2. Macro - An image of a small subject (typically 1 to 3 inches or smaller) shot with a macro lens/attachment (dSLR's) or using the macro setting (point-and-shoot). Examples include: fishes (gobies, blennies, juveniles), macroalgae, coral polyps, crustaceans, and other benthic creatures.
3. Conservation - An image that focuses on the marine environment and conservation which illustrates the human impacts on marine life. The image should address a marine environmental issue and convey a real-world message; may be taken underwater or topside.
4. Topside - An image taken in a marine setting above the water.
5. Black and White - A marine related photograph taken in black and white; may be underwater or topside.
All entries must be high-resolution digital files in JPEG format. They can be submitted by email or CD-ROM . CD-ROMs may be dropped off at the Shutter Shark mailbox in the Schure building at the OC campus or mailed to the following address:
NSU Oceanographic Center
8000 N. Ocean Drive
Dania Beach, FL 33004
Each submission must be made using the provided submission form and included in the email or CD-ROM . Please label all submitted photos with first and last name and category e.g. joesmithtopside1.jpeg.
Submission form: Shutter Shark Submission Form.doc
Contestants are limited to 2 entries per category. The same photo cannot be submitted to multiple categories.
Contestants are responsible for choosing the most appropriate category for their submissions. Photographs submitted to the wrong category will be automatically disqualified.
Digital images should be a minimum of 150 dpi at 8.5 X 11 inches in order to enlarge to 11 X 14 inches.
All entries must be received by midnight on Friday, October 26th 2012. Photos received after this time will not be considered.