Introduction | Accessing | Searching | Search
Results | Search Tips
The CINAHL Plus (Cumulative Index to Nursing and Allied Health) database contains
bibliographic references (books, dissertations, standards of professional practice, and educational
software) to nursing, allied health, biomedical, emergency services, occupational therapy, physical
therapy, respiratory therapy, surgical technology, physician's assistant and consumer health
This database may be accessed from the Electronic Resources Section of the Alvin Sherman Library website.
To access CINAHL Plus select the "Health & Medicine" link and then select (#2 - CINAHL Plus with Full text) from the list.
After logging in with your "SharkLink ID and Password, you can now access the database.
To begin your search in CINAHL
- type your search term(s) in the entry box
- click the Search button
Searching in CINAHL.
Search results will vary. If you get:
- No records matched your search, then check your spelling
or the fields you searched in.
- Too many, then go back and limit your search. Sometimes a
search needs to be modified with: additional search words, searching
only a specific field, adding date limitations, or type of materials.
- Too few, then go back and expand your search. Consider synonyms
for your search words or concepts. Try to use professional language
- Irrelevant results, then try new search terms. Consider synonyms
or related concepts. Identify and search using descriptors. Try a different
A Search History/Alerts screen will display
- search terms as processed by the database
- number of matching results
- options to revise or delete the search
Search History/Alerts screen in CINAHL.
To display the items that matched the search terms
- click the "View Results" link to display results
A list of search results matching your search terms will be displayed. The
results page shows
- citations for items that matched the search terms
- document formats available for retrieval; depends on the search results
- FIND IT - provides a link directly from a citation to the full text, if available
- PDF Full Text - indicates that a PDF format of the article is available
- HTML Full Text - indicates that a full-text version of the article is available
Search results list in CINAHL.
Use advanced search features to modify a search to obtain more successful search
results. You can combine advanced search features to modify and improve your
search. Advanced search features often include: