New Employee Orientation
Supervisor Orientation Toolkit
The First Day
Creating a comfortable environment for your new employee from the beginning is important. This includes
- two-way conversations to ensure mutual understanding
- making the new employee feel welcome
- providing an overview of the role and the department
- Provide a Welcome Binder for the new employee. To access a template of a recommended Welcome Binder, click here.
- Meet with your new employee and discuss the agenda for the day. See supervisor's checklist. www.nova.edu/hr/orientation/onboarding/forms/supervisor_new_employee_checklist.pdf
- Make arrangements for taking the new employee to lunch or coffee.
- Review the university's vision statement, mission statement, and core values and explain how your department and the new employee's job support them. www.nova.edu/president/timeline.html
- Review department and division organizational charts and how they relate to the overall NSU structure.
- Explain the orientation performance evaluation, NSU's performance evaluation program, your performance expectations, and the frequency of the reviews. www.nova.edu/hr/compensation/forms/performance_management.ppt
- Schedule training on key tasks, use of equipment, etc., for the new employee.