New Employee Orientation
The First Week
During your first week, be sure to engage in a two-way communication with your supervisor.
- Address any questions you may have on subjects discussed during your first day.
- Ensure you have a complete understanding of your job duties.
- Review a schedule of staff meetings or other important, upcoming activities.
- Benefits eligible employees must enroll in benefits within 30 days from date of hire.
- Make sure that you are familiar with the following:
- how to use the office equipment (telephones, printers, copy and fax machines, etc.)
- how to send and where to receive U.S. and campus mail
- where to access the NSU directory, which contains phone numbers and email addresses
- where to access key shared drives
- job-related training requirements
- the work environment of your department (e.g., teams, working alone, supervising others)
- university policies (Nondiscrimination and Affirmative Action Policy Regarding Academic and Staff Employment, Affirmative Action in Employment, Sexual Harassment, etc.)
- attendance, vacation and sick leave policies
- Mandatory training courses (e.g., Code of Conduct and Ethics Training, Sexual Harassment), these can be accessed through Sharklearn at http://sharklearn.nova.edu/. Please note that mandatory training must be completed before the three-month orientation period has passed.
Ask your Center's HR contact to register you for new hire orientation at www.nova.edu/hr/orientation
Technology training is available at