Outlook 2002 for Windows
POP Email Setup Instructions
- Click on the Start button. Go to Programs and click on Outlook.
- Click on Tools and Email Accounts.
- Make sure "Add a new e-mail account is selected", then click on Next.
- Select POP3 and click on Next.
- Fill out the next screen as follows:
- User Information
- Your Name: Enter your full name
- Email Address: Enter your NSU email address
- Server Information
- Incoming mail server: pop.nova.edu
- Outgoing mail server: smtp.nova.edu
(if you are using an ISP other than NSU, enter their SMTP server name)
- Logon Information
- User Name: your NSU email name (not your email address)
- Password: your eight-character password
- User Information
Your screen should look similar to the following:
Steps 6 - 10 are optional, however they are recommended. If you check your mail from different computers, you may want to save a copy of your messages on the server, then have Outlook remove them after a specified amount of time. If you skip these steps, your messages will be downloaded to your computer and permanently removed from the server. This means that emails you have downloaded to your computer WILL NOT be accessible from any other computer.
- Click on More Settings...
- Click on the Advanced tab at the top of the window.
- Put a check next to "Leave a copy of messages on the server". You can specify to leave a copy for a certain amount of days and/or have them deleted after you delete them from Outlook.
- NSU's mail servers also allow for secure connections. To allow secure connections please check "This server requires a secure connection (SSL)" for both Incoming and Outgoing servers (If you are using an ISP other than NSU, please confirm with them if they offer secure connections).
- Click on OK.
- Click on Next. Click on Finish.
Using Rules in Outlook
You can set up rules in Outlook that will filter out junk mail and adult content.
- Open Outlook and click on Inbox.
- Click on Tools and Organize.
- Click on Junk E-Mail. The following frame will appear.
- You can select Automatically move Junk messages to Deleted Items and Automatically move Adult Content messages to Deleted Items. Make sure to click Turn on after you've made changes to both rules. It should look like the following: