Financial Aid Application Process
Verification is a federally mandated review process in which the Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) verifies the accuracy of information provided by students on their Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA.)
If there is an asterisk next to the expected family contribution (EFC) on your Student Aid Report (SAR), your application has been selected for verification. NSU may also select a record for verification.
If you are selected for verification, you will receive a Missing Information Notice from the OFSA. It will list the documentation you are required to submit.
What do I need to submit?
For the 2012-2013 aid year, if you are selected for verification, you may be required to submit documents such as:
- Income Verification Form
- For tax filers, an Internal Revenue Service Transcript of your Federal Income Tax Return for the previous tax year (and/or your parent(s), if dependent)
- For non-tax filers with earned income, all W-2 forms
- Other documentation may be needed on a case-by-case basis for certain data elements, such as child support, proof of separation or divorce, or any other items deemed necessary.
NEW: Effective for the 2013-2014 Academic Year
The Department of Education is using verification tracking flags to place students selected for verification into five verification tracking groups. Students and/or their parents must verify information based on the tracking group to which they have been assigned.
Log in to WebSTAR or SharkLink to determine what documents you must submit for verification.
(for financial aid applicants new to NSU who have not yet been granted SharkLink access)
- Go to WebSTAR and select "Enter Secure Area" to login using your NSU User ID and Personal Identification Number (PIN). If you do not know your PIN, please go to My NSU Identity
- Select "Financial Aid" at the bottom of the page and click on "Eligibility."
- Click on "Student Requirements" to view both satisfied and unsatisfied requirements. You may click on the links provided to satisfy outstanding requirements.
(for students with NSU email account)
- Log in to SharkLink using your NSU User Name and Password.
- Click on the "Student" tab and locate the "Financial Aid" section.
- Select "My Financial Aid" and click on "Eligibility."
- Click on "Student Requirements" and select the appropriate award year to view both satisfied and unsatisfied requirements. You may click on the links provided to satisfy outstanding requirements.
Tips for a successful verification process
- Use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA.
- If you completed your FAFSA prior to filing your tax return or prior to the IRS Data Retrieval Tool being available, go back online to www.fafsa.gov and make corrections using the tool.
- Submit all requested documents/information requested by the Office of Student Financial Assistance promptly.
- If the Office of Student Financial Assistance requests an IRS Transcript, be sure to request an IRS "Return" Transcript. The IRS will present two options: Account Transcript and Return Transcript. The “Account" Transcript does not have the line-by-line information required for verification. You may need the "Account" transcript as a supplement to the “Return” transcript if your taxes have been amended since initially filing.
- Ensure all documents are signed and display your name and NSU ID.
- Make a photocopy of all information submitted for your records.
- Keep photocopies of tax returns and W-2s.
- To obtain your transcript, contact the IRS at 800-908-9946, visit your local IRS office, or mail a completed Form 4506T-EZ available on the IRS Web site.
Please Note: Verification must be completed before your need-based financial aid funds can be awarded or disbursed. Your documents must be reviewed and verification completed no later than four weeks prior to the end of your enrollment period for the academic year in which you are applying for aid. Failure to do so may result in ineligibility or cancellation of aid previously offered.