Risk Management

Frequently Asked Questions

If you have any further questions for the Office of Risk Management, please call us at (954) 262-5271 or email risk@nova.edu.

NSU Vehicles, Rental, and Accident Coverage

If I am involved in an accident while using my personal vehicle for NSU business, am I covered under the University's insurance?

Your personal auto insurance is primary. NSU's policy will only respond after your insurance is exhausted. Further, the University does not cover collision/comprehensive damage on an employee's vehicle.

When I am renting a vehicle for University business, do I need to take the collision coverage?

No. Employees should decline the CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) when renting a vehicle for University business and traveling in the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico*. NSU carries this coverage. If the employee does not decline such coverage he/ she will be responsible for the cost.

* If outside these territories, insurance coverage, including CDW, must be purchased. All auto rentals for University business should go through the travel office.

One of our employees/students needs to drive a University vehicle. What information is required?

The Risk Management Office must check his/her driver's license through the Motor Vehicle Department. The following information must be submitted to the Risk Management Office via the Consent to Obtain State Motor Vehicle Records form:

  • Full name
  • Drivers license number
  • Date of Birth
  • State of issue
  • Employing department

Can my spouse or other non-NSU affiliated person drive the rental car while I am on University business?

No, only NSU authorized drivers may operate the rental vehicle. Even if permitted by the rental car agency.

NSU Event Coverage and Use of Outside Facilities

The students are planning an event on campus. What do I need to do?

The Risk Management Office needs to know what type of event, the date, and other specifics to ensure NSU has adequate insurance coverage. The Office Public Safety needs to be notified as well.

An outside group wants to use the University's premises. What do I need to do?

All outside groups or person(s) renting or using any part of the University's premises are required to have Comprehensive General Liability Insurance. All departments are responsible for obtaining a Certificate of Insurance from the outside person/group prior to letting them use the premises. The Certificate must be forwarded to the Risk Management Office for approval before the event.

We will be using classroom facilities at another school that requires NSU to issue a Certificate of Insurance to that school. What information do we need and how do we obtain a Certificate?

Contact the Risk Management Office with the following information:

  • Name and address of certificate holder
  • Date(s) NSU will be using the facility and for what purpose
  • Whether the facility needs to be named as an additional insured
  • The type of coverage needed

Are all departmental activities covered under the University's Insurance Policies?

No. Any activity that may pose a greater exposure of risk of bodily injury or property damage than the usual normal day-to-day acitivities must be reviewed by the Risk Management Office to determine if there is coverage or if additional coverages will be needed.

Consequently, the department must contact the Risk Management Office to discuss activities that would not be considered part of normal day-to-day acitivities, such as field trips, traveling to hazardous sites, special sports activities, events with large groups, and any activity that may involve spectator or audience physical participation.

Nova Southeastern University Liability

Will the University reimburse visitors, students or employees for bodily injuries while on the premises?

NSU's liability insurance carrier and University risk management personnel investigates all claims for bodily injury to determine whether there is negligence on the part of the University. Based on this investigation, the carrier and the University may arrange a settlement, if appropriate, or deny the claim.

What is the deductible on our property insurance?

NSU carries a $10,000 deductible per occurrence for property loss.

Are employees' belongings automatically insured? If not, can we insure them?

No. Personal belongings cannot be insured by the University's policy. If an employee brings personal items into his/her office, such as lamps, rugs, radios, etc., he/she does so at his/her own risk.

Are students' belongings automatically insured or can they be insured under a University policy?

No. Students' belongings in a dorm or office cannot be insured under a University policy. It is recommended that students obtain their own insurance to cover personal property or check applicable coverage with their parents' or their own homeowners' policies.

Can a department sign a contract or an agreement that assumes liability or waives liability for the University?

No. Contracts or agreements which assume liability or waive liability for the University first need to be reviewed by the University's counsel and the Risk Management Office. Failure to do so could result in the University assuming liability for losses or claims not covered by insurance.

Nova Southeastern University Workers’ Compensation Benefit

I was injured at work. What do I do?

You must report the incident to your supervisor and send a completed Worker's Compensation First Report of Injury form to the Risk Management Office. Contact the Risk Management Office, Workers’ Compensation Risk Management Specialist, at (954) 262-5404. You must also contact Public Safety at (954) 262-8999 so an accident report can be completed. Public Safety will contact 911 when needed.

I am injured on the job. How long do I have to report the accident to my employer?

You should report the accident immediately to your supervisor in order not to cause a delay in receiving any worker's compensation benefits. Furthermore, the law requires that the University report the injury within a specific period of time.

Do I have to pay any of the medical costs due to an on-the-job injury?

No. The University or its insurance company must pay for all authorized and medically necessary care in accordance with a schedule of reimbursement allowances as authorized by the State Division of Worker's Compensation.

How are the doctors and other health care providers paid in connection with worker's compensation claims?

All authorized doctors and health care providers must bill the University's Workers’ Compensation third party administrator or insurance carrier directly. If you receive a bill, fax or e-mail it to 954-262-6860 or risk@nova.edu; attn: Workers’ Compensation Risk Management Specialist. Do not pay it yourself.

Can I choose my own doctor?

No. You must go to an authorized physician provided by PMA (TPA); please contact your Workers’ Compensation Risk Management Specialist or PMA adjuster to access the provider listing.