It is the intention of the Office of Community and Governmental Affairs to increase the community awareness of its existence, roles and functions within Nova Southeastern University.
Presentations and Articles
- The effects of stress on the brain by Jaime Tartar, Ph.D., associate professor, research coordinator at the Farquhar College of Arts and Sciences at Nova Southeastern University
Presented on May 25, 2012
- Beyond the Books: Partnering with the Library to Build a Better Researcher and Student by Elena Soltau, MLIS, instructional outreach librarian in the Alvin Sherman Library's reference department at Nova Southeastern University
Presented on May 11, 2012
- A Bold Initiative: Helping Senior Citizens Reach Beyond Themselves by Al P. Mizell, Ed.D., and Ron Cugno, Ed.D., of Nova Southeastern University's Abraham S. Fischler School of Education.
Presented on April 13, 2012
- Real World Applications of Positive Psychology: The Military, Schools and Chronic Illness by Barry Nierenberg, PhD, ABPP, Associate Professor of Psychology within the Nova Southeastern University Center for Psychological Studies. Dr. Nierenberg is part of the core faculty for doctoral psychology level training.
Presented on April 6, 2012
- NOOK Study: The Evolving World of eTextbooks (Part 1 / Part 2) by Beth Cain, General Manager of NSU Bookstore and Tami Garvey, Assistant Store Manager of NSU Bookstore
Presented on February 17, 2012
- Everything I Know About Business I Learned from the Grateful Dead by Barry Barnes, Ph.D., Professor of Management at the H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreneurship at Nova Southeastern University
Presented on February 3, 2012
- NSU's International Programs and Initiatives by Anthony J. DeNapoli, Ed. D., Executive Director of International Affairs at Nova Southeastern University
Presented on January 27, 2012
- Posttraumatic Stress and Women's Health by Jeff Kibler, Ph.D., Professor at Nova Southeastern University's Center for Psychological Studies.
Presented on January 20, 2012
- What We Know About the Science of Happiness by Barry Nierenberg, PhD, ABPP, an Associate Professor of Psychology within the Nova Southeastern University Center for Psychological Studies.
Presented on December 9, 2011
- Helping Through Advocacy and Leadership: Learn about the M.S. in Developmental Disabilities by Maribel Del Rio-Roberts, Psy.D., assistant professor in human services within the Division of Applied Interdisciplinary Studies at Nova Southeastern University.
Presented on November 4, 2011
- Biomarkers of cancer and aging by Stephen G. Grant, Ph.D., visiting Professor in the department of Pharmaceutical Sciences in the College of Pharmacy here at NSU.
Presented on October 21, 2011
- Beyond Barriers: Creating library services for families and children with Autism Spectrum Disorder by Anne Leon, Executive Director of Public Library Services at the Alvin Sherman Library, Research, and Information Technology Center at Nova Southeastern University.
Presented on October 14, 2011
- Creating a Culture of Preparedness by Kelley L. Davis, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Microbiology in the College of Medical Sciences at Nova Southeastern University with a joint appointment in the College of Osteopathic Medicine as an Associate Professor of Public Health.
Presented on October 7, 2011
- Past, Present, and Future; the journey of the Student Educational Centers by Joseph D. Pepe, Ed. D., the Interim Executive Director of NSU's off-campus locations throughout Florida, Nevada and in the Bahamas.
Presented on September 23, 2011
- Increasing Graduate Student Retention and Graduation Rates: Fischler's Title V-B PPOHA Grant Initiative by Ronald Kern, Ph.D., Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Program Professor at NSU Abraham S. Fischler School of Education.
Presented on September 9, 2011
- Learning is Lifelong at the NSU Lifelong Learning Institute (LLI) by Linda E. Maurice, Director of the Lifelong Learning Institute at the College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Presented on August 26, 2011
- Diversity and Scholarship by Delores M. Smiley, Ed.D., Executive Director of Diversity and Cultural Affairs and professor at the Abraham S. Fischler School of Education and Ralph Hogges, Ed.D., Executive Director and Professor at the Institute for Public Policy & Executive Leadership in Higher Education at the Abraham S. Fischler School of Education at Nova Southeastern University.
Presented on August 12, 2011
- Topics in OIT: New Organization, Top 5 Projects and how they relate to the Blackwell report, Virtualization/Cloud Computing and how we will be using it at NSU, as well as video and how we will leverage it going forward by Tom West, M.B.A., Vice President of Information Technology, and Chief Information Officer at Nova Southeastern University
Presented on August 5, 2011
- NSU + IZONE = INNOVATION by Diane M. Lippe, Ed. S., Executive Director of Educational Technologies and Digital Media
Presented on July 22, 2011
- The risks and benefits of the use of unorthodox medicine by Robert C. Speth, Ph.D., Professor of Pharmaceutical Sciences in the College of Pharmacy at Nova Southeastern UniversityPresented on June 3, 2011
- Using Narrative Therapy ideas as a means to building our Community by James Hibel, Ph.D., Associate Professor of Family Therapy and Community Engagement and Senior Director of Institutional assessment
Presented on May 6th, 2011
- Meditation: It's not what you think? by Edye E. Groseclose, Ph.D., Professor of biochemistry at NSU's College of Medical Sciences
Presented on April 8, 2011
- Haitian High School Students Find their Voice at the Literacy Initiative for Empowerment (L.I.F.E.) Program by Dr. Charlene Désir
Presented on March 25, 2011
- Institutional Effectiveness - What is it and why is it important? by Ron Chenail, Ph.D., Vice President for Institutional Effectiveness, professor of family therapy, and director of the graduate certificate in Qualitative Research Program at NSU.
Presented on March 11, 2011
- Community Engagement by Barbara Packer-Muti, Ed.D.
Presented on February 25, 2011
- The Totally Absorbing World of Marine Sponges by Jose V. Lopez, PhD, NSU Ocean Center
Presented on October 22, 2010
- Added value offered by the NSU library system
by Lia Hemphill, M.L.S., M.B.A., director of collection development at NSU's Alvin Sherman Library; and Laura L. Ramirez, M.L.I.S., director of library services at NSU's North Miami Beach Campus.
Presented on November 12. 2010
- The Habakkuk Project: Habakkuk 2 Village by Hui Fang Huang "Angie" Su, Ed.D.
Presented on November 5, 2010
- The Tooth Harvest (Sun-Sentinel Article)
- Community Outreach by Barbara Packer-Muti, Ed.D.
Presented on January 22, 2010
- Continuation & Expansion of QOL Projects by Kimberly Durham, Psy.D.
Presented on January 29, 2010
- Population-specific Challenges to Disparities in Delivery of Care by Deborah Ann Mulligan, MD, FAAP FACEP
Presented on February 12, 2010
- Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Mpilo Tutu by Dr. Michael Gaffley, CYC-P
Presented on February 19, 2010
- Student Media: Your Connection to Everything Student by Michelle Manley, M.S.
Presented on February 26, 2010
- The Chancellor's Faculty Research and Development Grant by Barbara Sterry and Kate Hayden
Presented on April 9, 2010
- Stable Foundations: Creating an Equine-Assisted Family Therapy Approach by Dr. Shelley Green and Olivia Schlapfer, M.S.
Presented on April 30, 2010
- NSU Distance and Campus-based Health Science Programs by Sandrine Gaillard-Kenney, Ed.D.
Presented on May 14, 2010
- "The Turk, The Baron, His Daughter, and her Lover" by Leo Irakliotis, M.S., Ph.D., Dean of NSU's Graduate School of Computer and Information Sciences
Presented on May 21, 2010
- Over-the-Counter (OTC) Medications: Issues and Implications for Research, Practice and Policy by Nisaratana Sangasubana, Ph.D., Nancy Hart, Pharm.D., and Silvia E. Rabionet, Ed.D.
Presented on July 23, 2010
- Changing Lives and Changing the World Campaign Priorities by Susan Peirce, M.A., Executive Director of Development in the Office of Institutional Advancement
Presented on July 30, 2010
- How to effectively use NSU's Office of Public Affairs and understanding media relations by Ken Ma, M.B.A
Presented on August 6, 2010
- Ten Women's Health Issues, What You Must Know in 2010 by Kenneth E. Johnson, D.O.
Presented on August 13th 2010
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) legislation of 1974 by Andrea E. O'Connell, MA, MS., Associate Director of Training in Enrollment and Student Services and G. Elaine Poff, University Registrar in Enrollment and Student Services.
Presented on August 20, 2010
- Employee Orientation by Maureen Simunek-Appelt, M.B.A., learning manager at NSU's Office of Human Resources, on September 3, 2010. The topic of the presentation was how the NSU Employee Orientation can be improved. The presentation included innovative training approaches and brainstorming based on the participants' experiences at NSU.
- Celebration of Hispanic Heritage by Dr. Calderon, Vice President for Community and Governmental Affairs, and professor at Nova Southeastern University
Presented on September 10, 2010
- Diversity Awareness and Management in the Workplace by Bahaudin G. Mujtaba, D.B.A., Associate Professor of management at the H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreneurship
Presented on October 8, 2010
- Medicinal and Healing Garden & Reflexology Pathway by Carsten Evans, Ph.D., Assistant Dean of Continuing Education at the College of Pharmacy
Presented on October 1, 2010
- Services Provided by the Office of Clinical Research to NSU Faculty Involved in Clinical Trials by Rita Silverman, M.P.S., Director of the Office of Clinical Research
Presented on October 15, 2010
- Medical Informatics, a transition to electronic medical records by Jennie Q. Lou, M.D., M.Sc., the founding director for NSU's College of Osteopathic Medicine's newest program, Master of Science in biomedical informatics (MSBI) program.
Presented on January 28, 2011
- Leadership 2015: You Want Me to Do What? by Robert C. Preziosi, D.P.A., professor of management at the H. Wayne Huizenga School of Business and Entrepreneurship
Presented on March 4, 2011