The Department of Cardiopulmonary Sciences, located at our Palm Beach Student Educational Center, is developing a group of programs, the first-professional Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy (BSRT), starting Fall 2014 (Curriculum and Requirements), the post-professional online Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy for the Practicing Registered Respiratory Therapist, starting September 2013, with an optional specialization in management.
BSRT Completion Program and Admissions
Planned to begin in September 2013, the Bachelor of Science in Respiratory Therapy for the Practicing Registered Respiratory Therapist, will be delivered entirely online. Admission to the program will require the following.
- Hold NBRC Registration as a Registered Respiratory Therapist. (A Block Grant of 45 Credits will be applied toward the BSRT upon proof of RRT and Licensure where applicable, and successful completion of all BSRT course work).
- An Associates degree in the field of Respiratory Therapy.
- Currently hold a license to practice respiratory therapy, where applicable.
- Application with writing sample, two evaluation (reference) forms and an application fee. The writing sample must include the following: 1) A clear statement of the goals set for entering the BSRT program.
- Official transcripts from each high school, university/college attended.
- Completion of the following prerequisite general education coursework, with a minimum grade of C, from a regionally accredited college or university.
(Requirements are subject to change without notice.)
Pre/Co-Requisites General Education Courses
|Written Communication above 1000 level||6|
|Mathematics above 1000 level||6|
|Social and Behavioral Sciences||6|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||6|
|Total Prerequisite/Co-requisite General Education Courses||30|
The following professional courses will be required for completion.
NSU Post-Professional Curriculum
|RRT 3016 Advanced Cardiopulmonary Physiology||3|
|RRT 3018 Advanced Pharmacology in Respiratory Therapy||3|
|RRT 3015 Critical Care Pathophysiology||3|
|RRT 3017 Outpatient Services in Respiratory Therapy||3|
|RRT 3021 Sleep Medicine||3|
|RRT 3020 Quality Improvement in Healthcare||3|
|RRT 3014 Advanced Patient Monitoring and Assessment||3|
|BHS 4031 Statistics for Health Sciences||3|
|RRT 4005 Evidence-Based Practice||3|
|RRT 4006 Leadership and Management for Health Care Professionals||3|
|RRT 4007 Education Principles in Health Care||3|
|RRT 4009 Legal and Ethical Considerations in Respiratory Care||3|
|RRT 4010 Case Management Theory & Process||3|
|Total BSRT Core Program Credits||39|
Practical Course Work and Experiences (2 Required)
|Practical Courses (2 from the following)||Credits|
|RRT 4502 Practicum||3|
|RRT 4505 Scientific Investigation||3|
|RRT 4506 Internship||3|
|Total Practical Course Credits||6|
Total Semester Hours Required for Graduation from the BSRT
|Total Prerequisite General Education Courses||30|
|Total Professional Course Requirement||39|
|Total Practical Course Requirement||6|
|Total Block Grant Credit for current RRT||45|
Completion Program Tuition: $445 per credit hour.
Optional Specialization In Management
These courses can be taken in addition to the post-professional curriculum and required practical course work. Completion of the following (15 credits / 5 courses) will grant a specialization in Health Care Management in addition to the BSRT degree.
|BHS 3155 Conflict Management in Health Care||3|
|BHS 3161 Health Care Finance||3|
|BHS 3162 Economics of Health Services||3|
|RRT 4103 Strategic Planning and Organizational Development for Healthcare||
|RRT 4014 Operational Analysis and Quality Improvement||3|
|Total Specialization Course Credits||15|