Leadership and Management Academy
The target audience for the College of Health Care Sciences’ Leadership and Management Academy is employees in administrative departmental positions, and faculty members who aspire to be a manager or leader. Program Directors and Chairs who desire to improve their skills in leadership, team building, effective communication and overall management skills are encouraged to participate. Faculty members who desire to build their leadership skills for their current roles, and/or envision themselves in an administrative role in the future, will also find the Leadership and Management Academy resources beneficial. The Academy will include a series of organized teaching/learning modules that meet the needs of the participants who are actively engaged in the learning process. This course content, as well as other educational modules, will eventually be available to clinical preceptors and other educators, in order to promote a broad range of leaders within the health professions.
Leadership and Management Advancement Course Content
The CHCSLMA Leadership and Management Advancement course consists of four learning modules developed to promote optimal leadership and management skills through innovative teaching/learning strategies. This will be offered twice a year and offer both on-campus and online components within one course, with an integration of active learning experiences through case-based and participatory strategies. Each module is facilitated by an instructor who is a content expert, which includes community instructors from a variety of professions. Academy participants will present an aspect of their leadership plans or a case study to an audience at the end of the sixteen week period, as well as receive a Leadership and Management Advancement Certificate.
- Understand the multiple NSU systems and processes that are necessary to navigate for effective management
- Understand and apply key leadership theories and philosophies to academic roles
- Analyze employee and student supervision situations and identify effective solutions from management and leadership perspectives
- Understand College and departmental strategic planning processes
- Develop leadership and management plans for academic role success
- Explore current evidence related to leadership and management
- Support the core values of Nova Southeastern University in the areas of innovation, opportunity, and academic excellence